Long time no see! We didn’t get home until late in the day on Sunday and after the most amazing weekend on Martha’s Vineyard, we were so tired and went to bed early. Yesterday we tried to get back into the swing with a full day of work, a run, evening groceries, meal prep and more sleep!
I do feel refreshed this morning and wanted to give you a delicious and quick recipe I made last night while I prepped our salads and veggies for the week.
Honey Mustard Drumsticks paired with an Apple Cider Vinegar Kale Salad. The combination was sweet, tangy, spicy and perfect for a quick Monday night meal. Though we usually like to buy boneless, skinless chicken breasts or even boneless, skinless chicken strips, going to the grocery store on a Monday night left me quite limited in choice. The drumsticks were a great deal as were the chicken thighs, so we have a little extra fat on our chicken this week, but it’s a nice treat and chicken is still a very lean and healthy choice. Feel free to use whatever type of chicken you’d like! If you buy chicken breasts, add about 5 to 10 minutes onto your cooking time.
Honey Mustard Drumsticks
8 drumsticks, cleaned and dried
2 tbsp. whole grain mustard
1 tsp. honey
1 tbsp. powdered garlic
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 tbsp. olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line a baking pan with foil and spray with olive oil.
2. Place the drumsticks on your baking pan.
3. Mix the remainder of the ingredients together in a bowl.
4. Using a spoon, place 1 dollop of marinade on top of each drumstick and using the back of the spoon, smooth it out over the skin of the drumstick.
5. Place the drumsticks in the oven for 25 minutes; you don’t even have to flip them!
6. Once the tops start to brown, and the mustard caramelizes, they are ready to eat!
Apple Cider Vinegar Kale Salad
2 cups of kale, rinsed
1/2 cup of cherry tomatoes
1 apple, sliced thin
Dressing: 1/4 cup of olive oil, 1 tbsp. spicy mustard (any kind you like!), 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper to taste
1. Whisk dressing ingredients together in a bowl and set aside
2. Combine the kale, tomatoes and apples before drizzling the apple cider vinaigrette on top and you’re ready to go!
I served the chicken with some broccoli rabe sauteed in fresh garlic and olive oil and I bought some olives so we enjoyed a few of those, too. Have a great Tuesday and I’ll be back soon with some fun photos of our Martha’s Vineyard weekend!