It’s time for another round of Friday Favorites and a 1/2 marathon training update! This week just flew by and I’m ready for a fun and productive Memorial Day weekend. For those of you traveling this weekend, please drive/fly/ferry/walk (?) safe and enjoy your time wherever you go! Cheers to a fun holiday and the unofficial start to summer 2014, woohoo!
1. THANK YOU! The only thing I really want to highlight on this week’s Friday Favorites, though there are a few more, is how much I am THANKFUL for my friends, family and fellow blog followers for their outpour of support for Kaylen’s Kitchen. As I entered the world of blogging less than two months ago, I really didn’t know what to expect, how I would maintain it, or if people would actually enjoy the recipes I post. I feel extremely grateful for each of you who has taken the time to stop by, comment, like, share, re-tweet, and maybe even try a recipe! Seriously, THANK YOU! Your texts and private messages letting me know you’ve tried a recipe I posted is the greatest feeling and I am truly excited that you’ve stepped into your own kitchen and enjoyed what cooking can bring to you and your family/friends. Food is a joyful thing that’s attached to so much love and celebration; I’m so happy we’re embracing it together!
2. Facebook official! Kaylen’s Kitchen made its official debut on Facebook! Your comments and shares for this page are so appreciated, so THANK YOU, again!! Many of you have asked how to follow the blog and it can be difficult if you don’t have a WordPress account or Twitter account. Having a Facebook page makes it much easier for me to post new recipes and makes it easier for you to follow along! If you have any suggestions on how to make it a smooth process, feel free to let me know!
3. Dave Matthews Band at Saratoga Springs Performing Arts Center (SPAC). YES. This is happening in one week. Not only are we going to the Friday and Saturday night performances, but we’ll be camping the whole weekend. This will be my second DMB concert as we attended the same one last year which was quite the memorable weekend. Burgers, hot dogs, s’mores, snacks, chilli, beer…and maybe the occasional celery stick or apple. It’s all about balance right? Ahhh, I can’t wait! Some photos from last year:
4. Shape Magazine’s 5 MINUTE workout. You are correct, that does say 5 minutes. I stumbled upon this workout via Shape Magazine’s Twitter account and I’m hoping to try it out next week! For those who don’t have a lot of time to sneak in a workout during their morning routine, this is a simple workout alternative for you. I would not (and this is the first thing Frank would say) rely on this workout every single day, but following a cardio session or for a quick pick me up, it’s a great alternative every once in a while! Click the photo for the full workout!
5. The Skinny Taste’s Round-up of 30 healthy Memorial Day dishes. Fresh berries, chilled treats, juicy pineapple, spicy salsa, creamy avocado and more. If you’re looking to enjoy a delicious Memorial Day BBQ while also erring on the healthy side, this list is a great resource! As you move through the list, she offers some delicious grilled dishes with lots of seafood items as well as healthy salad sides. Try it out!
Half Marathon Training Update
It’s been going well! Since we made the trip to Martha’s Vineyard last weekend, I ended up doing my long run (7 miles) on Friday morning. Now that we’re back into the swing of things with work and such, my workouts have been occurring in the evenings. Not my favorite time of day to workout so I’m hoping next week I can start to fit in some early morning runs before I head out the door.
This week’s rundown:
On Monday I completed 4 miles. They felt okay, but I was having serious foot numbing problems. I’m not sure if it’s the shoes or dehydration, though I do make it a point to drink lots of water throughout the day.
Tuesday was all about legs (squat circuit) and this bonus round toning circuit by Frank that I just love so much! In hind sight, I shouldn’t have done such a tough leg workout, because Wednesday’s workout was ALL hills.
Wednesday… Wednesday was all about the dreaded hill interval. I say dreaded because there really isn’t anything exciting or fun about hills…in my mind that is. But, since Jamestown is literally a 1/2 marathon OF hills, it only makes sense that it’s a major part of our training program. After a 1 mile warm-up, I completed 30 minutes straight of hills, followed by a 1 mile cool down. Felt tough during, but felt great after. You never regret a workout!
Thursday…no miles…I was supposed to complete 3 miles yesterday, but my back and legs were extremely sore from Wednesday’s hills and mayyyybe I shouldn’t have done so many squats on Tuesday. I decided to listen to my body and stretched and foam rolled instead of running. It’s so important to listen to your body and see how you feel when it comes to working out especially during a pretty strict training regimen. I’m back at it today though!
Today (Friday, of course), I headed out for a light 3 miles and then completed an ab workout, stretch and foam roll. Getting ready for that 8 miles tomorrow!
That’s it for today’s Friday Favorites and training update. I’m off to work for the day so we’ll catch up next week. Have a wonderful Memorial Day weeekend, friends and family. Thank you again for all the love!!!!