Chicken is a great weeknight meal as it’s lean and it’s versatile, two things I love about this protein. With that said, I find that it can get a little boring. During a short weeknight, it’s typical to make the easy, everyday staple because it’s a fast fix. While seasoning and baking a skinless boneless chicken breast is a quick and easy weeknight meal, I’ve got a recipe that adds just one extra step and gives your chicken a great boost of flavor and nutrients.
This is a recipe that Frank and I have been making since we first started dating. I think it was actually one of the first meals we cooked together! It’s a simple stuffed chicken recipe loaded with flavor and it’ll fill you right up!
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 cups of spinach (raw)
8 button mushrooms, peeled and sliced
1/4 cup pepper jack cheese
1.5 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. Diablo seasoning (or use chilli powder, red pepper flakes and pepper)
1 tsp. Monreal Chicken Seasoning
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1. Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Butterfly cut both of the chicken breasts, making sure not to cut all the way through.
3. In a saute pan spray with cooking oil and add the mushrooms. Cook until they start to soften, then add the spinach and cover until the greens start to wilt. Add 1/2 tsp. garlic powder and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Mix and set aside onto a separate plate.
4. Season the outside of the chicken breast (bottom and top) with all seasonings.
5. Place the chicken breasts, bottom side down, on a greased sheet pan. Lift up the top and add half of the spinach and mushroom mixture then top with half of the pepper jack cheese before closing the top. Repeat this step with the second chicken breast.
6. Cook the chicken breasts for 25 minutes or until cooked through. No need to flip halfway, just keep an eye on them!
*Be sure to season well and if you find there’s not enough seasoning depending on the size of the chicken breast, feel free to add a little bit more. Enjoy with some roasted asparagus or zucchini!