On Saturday night, after a long day of running (9 miles in the hot hot heat), studying, work and errands, I decided it was only right that we reward ourselves with fish taco night. While it doesn’t come around (too) often, when it does, it’s quite the treat. As we enjoyed our fish tacos, Frank and I both decided that this will be one of those meals that we enjoy with our own little family (one day!) too 🙂
To go along with our fish tacos, I switched it up and made a bean salad that paired nicely with my fresh mango salsa. I wanted to incorporate bulgur wheat since I’ve only used it a handful of times and I had lots of it in our cupboard; this was the perfect opportunity to try it out. If you haven’t used it before, you really should! It’s got a nice chewy texture and a mild, nutty taste. This whole wheat is high in vitamins and fiber, rich in minerals and low in fat. You’ll often find it in rice pilaf mixes or in tabouleh.
Bulgur Wheat Black Bean Salad
1 cup of dry bulgur wheat (Cooking instructions: In a sauce pan, add one cup of dry bulgur wheat and 1 and 3/4 cups of water. Bring to a boil and then cover, reduce heat, and let simmer for 20 minutes until the water is dissolved)
1 can of black beans, rinsed
1 tomato, diced
1/4 of a small red onion, finely diced
1 avocado, diced
1/4 cup of cilantro, rinsed and finely chopped
The juice of 1 whole lime
3 tbsp. olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
A few dashes of Cholula hot sauce to taste
1. Once you have cooked the bulgur wheat, set aside until it cools down (I put mine in the fridge for about 20 minutes)
2. Mix the bulgur wheat, black beans, tomato, red onion & cilantro until well combined.
3. Add the lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper along with a few dashes of hot sauce.
4. Make sure to taste it! Add additional seasoning as needed.
5. Enjoy on the side of your fish tacos! This salad could also be great on its own or topped with a piece of grilled chicken/fish. Yum!