Another beautiful day here in the Ocean State! Summer is in full swing, though I do feel like the heat hasn’t quite hit us. With that said, I’m okay with it! Running in the hot and humid heat is probably one of my least favorite things in this world, so I’ll take the cool breeze while I can.
Speaking of running…it’s been going well! Last Friday, Frank and I hit the streets of Oakville for a nice 10-mile run in the early morning. It’s so nice to run in a new environment and it took me back to my high school days of running past my old school, down Maple Grove Road and along the Lakeshore. The weather was perfect with a slight breeze and lots of sunshine. Next weekend we’ll conquer 11 miles before tapering down before the big race on July 12th. Can’t believe how quickly time flies!
I have a recipe for ya and I think you’re gonna like it!
Now that summer is upon us, I’m all about trying new and fresh salad recipes. Last night after a quick grocery shop and meal prep evening, I decided to throw together a fresh salad that’s packed with protein, flavor and color, too!
This three-bean salad is as simple as can be. I haven’t had string beans in a very long time so I picked up a pre-packaged bag of the long-green beauties and got creative in the kitchen.
1/2 lb. bag of green beans
1 15 oz. can of black beans
1 15 oz. can of chick peas
1/2 cup of cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup of red onion, chopped
1 tbsp. dijon mustard
1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
4 tbsp. olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Rinse the green beans. Remove the stems. Cut them in half on an angle (I think the angled cut looks prettier!)
2. Rinse and drain the black beans and chick peas.
3. Mix all of the beans, tomatoes and onion in a bowl.
4. In a separate bowl, combine the mustard and vinegar until well combined. Then drizzle the olive oil, whisking quickly, so the mixture emulsifies. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Drizzle the dressing onto the salad and combine until everything is coated.
6. Enjoy on its own or with chicken on top!
Have a great Tuesday, everyone!