Every once in a while, it’s nice to switch up the ol’ salad routine and try something new! The other night I made a warm salad that featured quinoa, roasted sweet potatoes and sauteed kale. It might sound a little crazy right now, but it turned out deliciously!
Warm Quinoa, Sweet Potato & Kale Salad
1 cup of cooked quinoa (1/2 cup dry, 1 cup water, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, let simmer for 15-20 minutes)
1 sweet potato, diced
1/2 of a white onion, diced
2-3 cups of kale, rinsed and torn into pieces (think lettuce for a regular salad)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
3 tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cook quinoa as directed above and set aside
3. Spread chopped sweet potatoes out onto a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 20-25 minutes, flipping halfway through until browned on both sides.
4. Saute onion and garlic in 1 tbsp. olive oil until cooked through. Add kale and sauté for 5-8 minutes until wilted and the kale becomes a nice dark green color. **If you leave the kale for too long over the heat, it will start to lose itss bright green color, wilt, and lose its crunch**
5. Combine the quinoa, sweet potatoes and kale mixture in a large bowl.
6. Add the red wine vinegar, dried thyme, salt and pepper.
7. Stir well to combine and enjoy!
We had ours with salmon and roasted broccoli 🙂