Jamestown Half Marathon Recap

Good morning and happy Monday!

I hope you had a great weekend wherever you may be in the world! This weekend was a whirlwind of fun including the Jamestown Half Marathon which we ran on Saturday morning. Here’s a recap of our prep, pre- and post-race highlights!

Friday Night

On Friday evening, Frank and I made sure to continue hydrating lots and filled up on a hearty pasta meal. I made my ground turkey and veggie tomato sauce over whole wheat penne noodles instead of the spaghetti squash I used last time. Delicious! We also had a yummy tomato, basil mozz salad drizzled with olive oil, a little bit of balsamic vinegar, salt & pepper.

1:2food 1.2food

After dinner, we enjoyed some pineapple coconut water, lots and lots of regular water and a little bit of salted caramel dark chocolate! A nice treat while staying hydrated as we watched a movie and relaxed. We ended up renting Out of the Furnace featuring Christian Bale and Ben Affleck’s little brother, Casey Affleck! This movie was great but pretty intense and sad (just a warning if you rent it).


After the movie I set my race clothes out as well as the clothes I’d change into following the race. We were in bed just after 10pm and set our alarm clocks for 4am in the morning (phew!). It took me a while to fall asleep and I think it was due to a combination of my thoughts on the movie we just watched and obviously some pre-race jitters! I did eventually fall into a deep sleep and the next thing we knew the alarm went off and we were rolling out of bed before the sun!


Saturday morning

The moment we woke up, I clicked on the coffee and made a big breakfast. The race wouldn’t start for another two and a half hours so we made sure to fill up! On the menu: A big cup of coffee, a tall glass of water, scrambled eggs and an english muffin toasted with peanut butter, banana and a small drizzle of honey. Filling and delicious!


We were out the door by 5:00am and on the open road as the sun started to rise and the birds started chirping! The drive usually takes 45 minutes but since it was so early, traffic wasn’t bad at all. We were driving over the bridge, watching the sunrise and taking in the calm of the Atlantic ocean at 5:25am. It was quite peaceful and relaxing as we prepared for the race!

sunrise sunrise2

Timing seemed to be perfect, but it was just too good to be true – by the time we hit the exit ramp to get to the parking lot, we were sitting in race traffic that pushed us back at least 40 minutes. Not only did it take that long just to get to the parking area, but we still had to register, make a quick stop at the port-a-john (which was another long line and took about 20 minutes) AND hop on the shuttle bus that would drive us back over the bridge to the starting line.

Well, it’s safe to say that we, along with a couple hundred other runners, missed the start of the race! We didn’t get on the shuttle until 6:30am and that’s when the race started! We heard they were postponing the start, but that they couldn’t hold it off forever. Luckily, our bibs had race chips and our time wouldn’t officially start until we physically crossed the starting line.


On the shuttle bus

So, we were on our way, with a sad excuse for a warm-up but we had made it! There were so many runners this year and it honestly didn’t make a difference whether we started with everyone or not. Throughout the entire race we were among other runners as opposed to last year, where I was alone for long periods of time. It was exciting and a whirlwind of a race but Frank and I felt great and had fun with it!

As always, I started off way too fast, but we did eventually get into the groove and at a good pace. Running with Frank is great because he really knows how to pace me and he’ll tell me to slow my roll if I start getting a little too crazy at mile 2! For the most part, the race felt really good and the hills were not nearly as painful as last year. I think this was due to our hill training as well as the fact that they reversed the course this year so a lot of the hills were towards the beginning and middle rather than at the middle and end.

I did hit a serious wall at mile 11. My hip flexers started to tighten up and my legs felt like they couldn’t move any faster! I slowed us down quite a bit during this mile and though Frank could have picked up the pace, he refused to leave my side (as he always does!) and we finished holding hands through the finish line (you may think we’re nerdy, but we love it; NERDS FOR LIFE)!

We finished strong through the last stretch of the race and both felt a slight bit sore but overall great and proud! Our official time was 1 hour and 55 minutes at an 8:49 pace. I’ll be kicking myself because the last two miles really pushed us back from finishing at least a few minutes earlier, but nonetheless, it was a personal best and 10 minutes faster than my time last year!

After the race we chugged tons of water and gatorade and enjoyed some fresh watermelon slices. BUT, want to know the best thing about this race? The finish line is right by the beach! To cool off, we headed to the water and dipped our toes in the ocean.


Following our ocean cool down, we headed back to the shuttle buses which would take us back to our car.



Following a quick change, we were on the road back home and stopped at Bagelz for some delicious post-race fuel. We had refreshing iced coffees with toasted bagels, Nova Scotia lox (YUM), cream cheese, tomato, red onions and capers. Protein packed and full of flavor, just what we needed!


And that just about sums up the 2014 Jamestown Half Marathon. Thank you, Frank, for your amazing support and for being the best training and race partner a girl could ask for. Courtney, thanks for an awesome training program and though you couldn’t run the race due to knee issues, you were there in spirit and I couldn’t have conquered those hills without your expertise!

Now it’s time to rest and recover and start the week off right! Have a great day!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s